Vine weevils are one of the most destructive garden pests. Adult Vine weevils are nocturnal and can travel quite long distances to infest your plants. All adult Vine weevils are females and can lay high numbers of eggs that develop into Vine weevil larvae. It is these larvae that can cause the most devastating damage to a wide range of plants as they feed on plant roots. The larvae will kill plants by continued feeding on the roots, and plants may appear as if they need watering when they are infested. Adult Vine weevil will also feed on the leaves of plants and damage will show as notches, or half-moon shaped cuts on the edges of leaves.
Naturally and safely control your Vine weevil infestation with our Vine Weevil Killer Nematodes, which are deadly to the Vine weevil larvae but safe to humans and wildlife. Dragonfli Vine weevil killer contains Steinernema species nematodes. These nematodes enter the larvae via a natural opening, like the mouth, and feed on the contents of the larvae. A natural bacterium is produced by the nematodes inside the larvae, which kills it. Infected larvae will be completely broken down by the nematodes. The nematodes also reproduce inside the larvae, releasing more nematodes into the surrounding area.
We advise applications of Vine Weevil Killer Nematodes between January and May, and again from August to October for outdoor applications. For indoor applications where there is heating, Vine weevil larvae may be found all year round, so treat when required.
Soil, or compost, temperatures should be above 8℃ for optimum application.
In cooler conditions, in the spring and late autumn, Vine Weevil Killer contains a nematode that is active at lower soil, or compost, temperatures. In the summer months Vine Weevil Killer is conversely supplied with a nematode suited to higher temperatures.
We are also able to provide regular programmes of Vine Weevil Killer introductions that will help you apply the nematodes at the time of year they are most likely to be effective. Please contact us for more information in establishing a programme.
- One pack of Vine Weevil Killer 5 million nematodes will treat up to 10 square metres
- One pack of Vine Weevil Killer 10 million nematodes will treat up to 20 square metres
- One pack of Vine Weevil Killer 25 million nematodes will treat up to 50 square metres
- One pack of Vine Weevil Killer 50 million Nematodes will make ten watering cans worth of solution to treat an area of up to 100 square metres
Choose a humid or wet day to apply your Vine Weevil Killer Nematodes. Nematodes are UV-sensitive and will not survive long when exposed to bright, sunny conditions. Apply the nematodes early in the morning or early in the evening in order to utilise the optimum humidity levels. Ensure the soil is moist at time of application.
(The following instruction measurements apply to the 100m2 pack)
1. Open and empty the contents of your 50 million sachet of nematodes into a bucket or container of 5 litres of water and mix thoroughly to make a nematode concentrate solution.
2. Next, take 0.5 litres of nematode concentrate solution and add to an 8 litre watering can and fill with water (or use our Nema Super Sprayer or AquaNemix applicators for optimum nematode application).
3. Water the diluted nematode solution into the infected area with each watering can covering an area of 10m2. 10 watering cans be made up from the 5 litres of nematode solution which can treat a total area of 100m2.
Ensure your soil area is moist for up to 2 weeks after application. This will help the nematodes enter the compost to search and find the Vine weevil larvae.
Full instructions are provided on delivery.
These tiny microscopic nematodes can be watered into pots and containers. They can also be applied to raised beds, flower beds and borders.
You can store unopened nematode packs in a fridge but it is best to ensure you apply your nematodes as soon as possible for the best results.