Cutworms are the larvae / caterpillars of several different moths, the most common being the Turnip Moth (Agrotis segetum). They are normally grey to brown in colour and curl up when they are disturbed. Cutworms generally feed at night, on the ground surface, and will damage a wide variety of vegetables, salad plants and even low growing ornamental plants. They will also feed on the roots of seedlings and cause young plants to collapse where they have been feeding. Other symptoms of damage will show as girdled plant stems, severed roots and wilted plants.
Cutworm Killer containsSteinernema species nematodes that can be applied as a soil drench to control and kill harmful soil dwelling caterpillars such as Cutworms.
The nematodes will enter the larvae via a natural opening, like the mouth, and feed on the contents of the larvae. A natural bacterium is produced by the nematodes inside the larvae, which kills it. The nematodes also reproduce inside the larvae, releasing more nematodes into the surrounding area. Once the Cutworm larvae are killed, the nematodes die back to natural levels in the soil.
Apply your Cutworm Killer Nematodes when damage is observed or when Cutworms have been located in the soil. The optimum period to apply is between April to October.
The Cutworm Killer Nematodes are supplied as either:
- 1 x 25 Million nematodes to treat up to 50m2
- 2 x 25 million nematodes to treat up to 100m2
Choose a humid or wet day to apply your Cutworm Killer Nematodes. Nematodes are UV-sensitive and will not survive long when exposed to bright, sunny conditions. Apply the nematodes early in the morning or early in the evening in order to utilise the optimum humidity levels.
Soil temperatures should be above 10℃ for the nematodes to be active, if applying in the spring.
1. First open and empty the contents of your 25 million sachet of nematodes into a bucket or container of 2.5 litres of water and mix thoroughly.
2. Next, fill your sprayer (hand held sprayers should suffice, with filters removed - or use our specific nematode applicator: AquaNemix or our 8/15 Litre Pump Action Sprayers for optimum nematode application) with the mixed 2.5 litres of nematode concentrate and add another 5.5 litres of water so you are left with 8 litres of nematode solution.
3. Finally, spray the soil and ensure plenty of the spray solution is applied and directed where possible directly onto the Cutworms.
Ensure the soil is moist for 2 weeks since application.
For severe infestations, repeat the process 5 days after first treatment.
Full instructions are provided on delivery.
You can store unopened nematode packs in a fridge but it is best to ensure you apply your nematodes as soon as possible for the best results.
Cutworm Killer Nematodes are harmless to humans, and safe to apply to edible plants